Sunday, June 25, 2006

Amazing culture in Suchil

I have learned so much about the rich culture here in Santiago Suchilquitongo these past few days. Last night, my host mother and I talked about life in the pueblo and she told me all about the archaeological ruins and tombs in the community, life before intense modernity, and even curanderas!

This community has so much potential for tourism, and I know tons of people from around the world would come here to see, hear, and taste this Oaxacan culture. My partners and I are hoping to work together with my host mother and the Comite of the Casa de Cultura to create a Women`s Tourism Co-Op. This was an idea my host mother had.

I think its brilliant. Women would lead and run a organization in the community that would be in charge of tourism. The community museum that has been closed would become the Tourism Center, which would be the starting point for all tourists. From there, they could tour the city, taste the amazing food, and see some of the culture that makes Oaxaca and Suchil so special. All while knowing that their experience hasn`t been totally commercialized and is actually empowering and sustaining women in the pueblo.

I really hope we can get this moving, and technology would facilitate the project so much! Imagine seeing digital photos and hearing audio oral histories in the Center and being able to check out the community and make reservations on a website before arriving!

Exciting...

-Apoorva

No comments: