Saturday, August 05, 2006

Cue credits

Yesterday we had our final computer class for kids. Overall, the classes went very well and the children´s progress was remarkable. I hope they use the skills they have learned positively and not just to find "video juegos" online. But I´m not too worried, when it comes time to do a presentation for class, they´ll be the ones busting out the Powerpoints. And that makes me proud.

I had another highlight for the summer yesterday. The teacher of the women´s cooking class at the Casa de la Cultura was interested in learning how to make Indian food. So yesterday evening, I spent a few hours with the women teaching them how to cook a typical Indian dish I would eat at home - green beans and cauliflower spiced to the max with mustard seeds, curry, cumin, cloves, red chili pepper, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime, tomato, etc.

It was ridiculously fun and it smelled like home. The best part was that all the women couldn´t stop snacking on it, and many said they would make it at home for their kids! I have officially accomplished the "cultural exchange" part of the AMIGOS Mission Statement.

Cue credits for AMIGOS in Suchilquitongo, I can count the days left in community on one hand.

Love,
Apoorva

1 comment:

cvsports said...

You stole my comment by pointing how blatant a "Cultural Exchange" that was, but it still is true.

-- Colin