Sunday, July 30, 2006

Far too long to not have blogged

I can´t believe I haven´t blogged in more than a week. Apologies! Since my last post I have seen the festival of the Patron Saint Santiago Apostol in my town, been to a workshop in Oaxaca City, and attended the Casa de la Cultura Guelaguetza.

If my last post appeared as too negative and disheartening, I certainly did not mean it to be so. While the criticism was necessary, I do not think that this summer has been a failure or anything close to one. In reality, despite all the circumstances working against our mission, we have been successful. It´s fine for expectations and realities to be distinct.

The Guelaguetza last night was a presentation of dances from all the seven regions of Oaxaca and from our community as well. It was certainly an event, turnout was wonderful, and you could see once again that Oaxaca and culture go together like butter and toast.

Here is a video about El Baile del Guajolote (The Turkey Dance) that is traditional at weddings in Suchil. I worked on it with my host brother and host uncle, and it was presented to the whole community last night at the Guelaguetza. (The narrator is a friend of my host uncle - what a badass voice!)


The social movement still continues here in Oaxaca, but nothing seems to be as bad as news sources make it out to be. I even found this article about the situation in the Houston Chronicle - it made the front page! But I guess sensationalism comes from many sides here in Oaxaca. Some of the messages spray-painted on the streets assure that this movement will certainly become a Revolution with a capital R (I don´t think so, Tim).

But no worries, the teachers have taken their opportunity of owning the Zócalo to let vendors set up shop and sell anything imaginable - it´s capitalism at its purest. Strange that vendors supporting such an anti-capitalist movement would sell trinkets and crafts that no local would ever buy. Oh, the irony.

Very little time left now, less than two weeks. Will keep you updated!

Cheers,

Apoorva

1 comment:

cvsports said...

Haha, the turkey dance and that incredibly repetitive song halfway through brings me back to the Quinceañeara I attended. The production values on the video were really cool -- video, text, that announcer, the fact that it's ON youtube. Wish I knew how to do that. I'm not even sure how to add a hyperlink within a blogger post. Liked the Zocalo capitalism irony as well.

See you soon,

Colin