Saturday, July 15, 2006

My Top Ten List

Here are my top six reasons why it really feels like I´ve adjusted to life here (I wish I could think of ten. Top Ten sounds way cooler, but I can´t think of ten):

1) I find myself hissing and making clicking sounds at any animal that comes within five feet of me. It doesn´t matter that they aren´t dangerous at all - it´s just a way to pass time.

2) I eat all food with a tortilla in my left hand and rip a small piece off for every bite - making a taco is only for weekends.

3) Jackets and blankets. I never understood why people here wore jackets in reasonably normal-to-cool temperatures and used thick blankets at night. I now use both regularly.

4) I feel the constant urge to show up everywhere about 20-30 minutes late.

5) It´s perfectly natural for me to say "¡Buenos días!" and "¡Buenas tardes!" to all people over the age of 30 that walk by me. But it`s never full phrase either - something more like "buenaas" or "bueo dias."

6) As you noticed earlier in this post of me repeating the fact I can´t think of ten things, I am perfectly comfortable with saying one thing in as many ways possible using as many different clauses, tenses, subject/preposition shifts, etc. as necessary. This is the way people talk to you here. Here that´s the way people talk. You see, talking here is done in that way.

P.S. Sheila, if you read this, what´s your e-mail address? I´ve been wanting to respond to your comments but I don´t have your address on my webmail here! Thanks!

5 comments:

E.K. said...

APOORVA.

ahhhhhhhh. Anyways, your trip sounds like it's going great. You should email me sometime or something or just give me a call when you're back in town.

Thida

Anne, Jaime, and Pilar said...

Hey Apoorva! I love your top six list -- I have to say that here in Chile, people also repeat the same thing several times in many different ways :-)) congrats on your technology class -- it sounds like true AMIGOS. Are you coming to Chile? Que te vaya bien, muchos saludos, Anne

Anonymous said...

Apooorrrva! I have loved reading your blogs for the past two weeks. It sounds like your having an insanely awesome time in Oaxaca! I am insanely jealous, and I will def keep posting comments.

- Andrew Usoro

Grace said...

Hi! I found you through my link on "eonfire!" Great blog, and sounds like you're having too much fun!

Anonymous said...

i did read it, and i enjoy it. making lists is lots of fun. i thrive off the high i get from crossing items off to-do lists; you should try it. highly under-rated. sounds like oaxaca is loads of fun. one of my friends from high school got drunk on the beach in oaxaca (spelling....) on spring break and he said it was very rural. anyways. i will now check many times per day when i am bored at work for new updates!